I have taken a creative spin on Young People to Watch and have decided to focus on a young party to watch instead. The idea sprang from the announcement of Julius Malema who will be forming his own party with no ties to the ANCYL. Below you will find the fast facts on a party that is fighting for the legalisation of Dagga obviously known as The Dagga Party.
FAST FACTS ON THE DAGGA PARTY
· A registered political organization known as the Dagga Party (a.k.a Iqela Lentsango) led by Jeremy Acton since 2011 but founded in 2009.
· Their fight is for the legalization of cannabis in South Africa.
· Their aim is to get 500 signatures. This ensures them a seat in the Langeberg municipality where they can bring the legalization of cannabis to the parliament’s attention.
· The hope of it being legalized will ensure that persons only over the age of 18 years are allowed to consume cannabis.
· They also hope to clear the offences involving cannabis off anyone’s criminal record to allow them the liberty of living their lives free from these convictions.
· They are largely sponsored by the dagga couple (most prominent figures in the cannabis community).
· You can only register as a voter (for the Dagga Party) if you are a registered voter for the general elections.