Spring is here and summer is hot on its heels. As we pack away the blankets, hot water bottles and heaters and we shed all the layers we became so accustomed to wearing, we all suddenly want to get fit in preparation for summer.
During the winter season we drag our feet and put the gym in the corner. Later on we rush to get rid of that unwanted winter weight gained from eating all of those warm comfort foods.
Suddenly, we’re all on crash diets trying to lose weight fast and some of us are using the wrong methods to reach that goal. And when we want to get in shape, browsing the countless websites for advice can be a stressful and you are more likely to end up losing interest instead of weight.
So Live spoke to Alex McGregor about how we can lose weight and keep fit without hurting or straining ourselves in the process of this weight loss mission.
Alex McGregor is a 21-year-old Capetonian actress who has starred in Spud and Spud 2, but is best known for her role in Young Ones. Alex gave us a list of the exercise methods that she regularly relies on as well as a few dietary tips that you can also implement. They come highly recommended – by Alex – and she suggests that both the Live team and readers try them out.
How do you keep fit?
“I try to be as healthy as possible when it comes to eating and I like to live by the 80% clean eating, 20% indulging rule.”
Do you have any diet methods you use?
“During the week I stick to a bowl of apple-cinnamon, almond-butter protein oats in the morning, rice cakes with avo and egg whites as a post workout snack and a salad with protein (chicken or fish) for lunch and dinner. On weekends I’ll have a burger or pizza!”
Which exercises do you recommend to try out?
“Treadmill H.I.I.T is my favourite! Really gets the heart rate up and is great for burning fat. Squats are a girls best friend! LOVE them. I also love planking. It’s the best exercise for your abs!”
In addition to Alex’s tips, here are a few healthy living from the Live team to get you prepared for summer.
- Drink ice water. According to health journals when the human body temperature drops, it will shiver/vibrate to warm itself up and that can reduce calories and make one lose weight. So think twice about saying these words, “No, ice please.”
- Reducing consumption of fats and eating fruits often can lower your calories to a minimum and give you that summer body you dream of having without having to do strenuous exercises.
- It’s no cliche: breakfast is the most important meal of the day. What you start with can determine how you’re going to spend your day. During breakfast eat a large but balanced meal so that you don’t end up snacking every hour.
- Skip snacks and desserts. As hard as it may be, it really is for your own good.
- Run at full speed for five minutes. You can burn calories and don’t have to hit the gym or spend hours exercising for quick, effective result.
- Cycling burns calories, can boost your leg strength, save you money and save the planet by cutting down on petrol used..
- Push ups are dreaded but good exercise. If you want to have sexy arms, not meaty with fat, start doing push ups at home..
- Walk long distances. Some of us don’t consider walking as exercise but it really helps especially for those people who can’t keep up with their gym schedule.
Last but not least, in my opinion, doing jumping jacks is a great way to get your entire body moving and get your heart rate up but if you think you’re too cool for the traditional jumping jacks, check out #LevitationFriday on Twitter and see how cool some people really do it.
If there’s one thing you need to remember, we at Live simply have one important piece of advice: find a healthy balance between a good diet and a regular exercise routine and we promise, you will be a whole lot more happier!
Graphics and illustrations: @KingOblivy