It’s the sixth week of the notorious “Oscar Pistorius :Trial of the decade”. We all remember the bloody Valentine’s day where we woke up to the news that Olympic star Oscar Pistorius had gunned down his model girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp. There have been heated moments and plenty of highs and lows during the trial.
- In week 1 we all saw how the first witness Michelle Burger kept a headstrong character while being, as many would say,”bullied” by Roux.
- Week 2: More of Oscars neighbours were called onto the stand to testify against him.
- Week 3 : We saw how Oscars friendship with Darren Fresco deteriorated when he had to testify against him.
- Week 4: Numerous forensic experts took the stand to share their expertise with regards to the crime scene.
- Week 5: Saw Oscar on the witness stand for the first time, looking distraught and puking in court and pouring his heart out about the disastrous night in 2013 .
- Week 6: Advocate Gerrie Nel will continue his cross-examination with Oscar.
Many South Africans have been keeping up to date with the trial and most of us of would say we’ve learnt a thing or two about the South African justice system with regards to the grilling cross examinations the witnesses have faced (thanks to Oscar’s lawyer Barry Roux). The broadcasting of this trial has changed perceptions and has brewed many opinions on social media.
The Oscar Trial has been trending all over the world on twitter and has lived to its “Trial of the century” status – with some comparing it to the OJ Simpson trial in 1995. We’ve seen a variety of law experts share commentary and insight on the case and its similarities to the OJ trial.
Live Magazine took to the streets and got people’s verdict on the trial. Check out our YouTube channel and hear the views people shared on the former Olympic star’s fate.
We asked the following questions:
- What do you know about Oscar Pistorius?
- What do you predict the verdict will be in this trial?
- Do you know the law on culpable homicide?
This trial has fuelled a lot of emotion and drama and an intriguing dose of humour. So check out the YouTube channel!
Tweet me: @KCSeshibe