If you think you’ve seen it all… Hell! The new Skrillex “Ragga Bomb” music video is sure to leave you speechless.
The American-born singer-songwriter Sonny John Moore, popularly known as Skrillex, who’s the former lead singer of the post-hardcore band From First to Last, released his new single “Ragga Bomb” a couple of days ago. He collaborated with British jungle heavyweights Ragga Twins on the first single from his much anticipated, third full-length studio album – Recess. This EDM (electronic dance music for the uninitiated) icon has been experimenting with different sounds from different genres, from classical to hip hop, giving his music a spontaneous consistency. It’s helped him grow into a more well-rounded producer and seems like a decision to cater to a large audience.
The video which is directed by South African Terrence Neale depicts a post-apocalyptic Johannesburg where street recyclers skate around the city with their garbage karts. It’s tense, eerie, and dark as rival street gangs prepare for a showdown. After some intense dancing – pantsula, tribal, provocative, ritual, enchanting, gritty – the groups finally meet in an abandoned warehouse where they settle scores using Jedi lightsabers.
This dark music video is well directed with highly choreographed dance moves and a real sense of Johannesburg. Now, whenever I see those recyclers pulling their carts around the city I’m gonna hear Skrillex’s Ragga Bomb.
The Skrillex fact file:
– Marilyn Manson’s Antichrist Superstar was the first album he bought.
– Leaving the band From First to Last, he was determined to do things in a DIY manner. He sold his demos at shows all packaged in blue envelopes featuring his own unique drawings.
– Before Skrillex, he was primarily known as “Twipz” (not “Twerpz”).
– He is BFF’s with J-Lo. No, not that one, but rather actor and 30 Seconds To Mars lead singer Jared Leto.
– “I actually LOVE the harp…” Yes, he loves classical music.
– In 2004 he learned he was adopted.
– Rolling Stone reported that he was dating Ellie Goulding but that the relationship failed due difficulties of a long distance relationship.