The 10th annual Channel O Music Videos Awards took place on Saturday November 30th at the Walter Square in Kliptown, Soweto. The show was hosted by rappers AKA from South Africa and Naeto C from Nigeria.
1. The quality of the production was immaculate.
2. The stage set-up looked proper, it looked like a world-class award ceremony.
3. Africa came together to celebrate AFRICAN music (even though it was just for 1 night).
4. South Africa has firmly taken its place alongside Nigeria as one of the most important figures in African music (i.e. Host country, a South Africa host and South African artists cleaning up the awards).
5. The Mafikizolo performance was fitting of the calibre of their artistry & closed off the show well.
6. The Soil’s performance was superb; they are a uniquely African act and are very authentic to their craft.
7. The fashion on display was of the best quality; our superstars were certainly looking the part on the night.
8. Time was kept punctually; the show started as scheduled and ended right on schedule too.
9. The level of professionalism.
1. The people who were presenting the awards! Some of them couldn’t read the auto-cue.
2. Some of the performances looked more like rehearsals; not much effort was put into them.
3. The P-Square performance was particularly disappointing especially because of how much it was hyped up; it was anti-climactic.
4. The hosts AKA and Naeto C had no chemistry whatsoever; all their MC’ing was limited to reading the teleprompter and sticking to the script.
5. People who were presenting awards were talking over the voice-over as they were making their way onto stage.
But all in all, I would give this Awards Show an A for true African appeal!
Here’s to 2014 and another year of great African music!
Follow me on twitter: @Thapelo_Mosiuoa