Socks and sandals are no longer a trend that only dads should follow. Believe it or not, what was formerly regarded as one of fashion’s biggest sins, is now regarded as a style staple.
Celebs such as Rita Ora, Elle Fanning, Alexa Chung and The Olsen twins are all rocking this trend. Socks and sandals were also a key trend at the Burberry Spring/Summer 13 collection and Agi & Sam show.
Blogger and Legit content editor Anja van der Spuy says although pairing socks and sandals was a definite fashion no-no these days you can rock the look with grace. “Teaming cute socks with lace detail or pretty prints and bright heels can actually look really cool,” she says. Van der Spuy suggest pairing high-waisted shorts or stylish skirt to make this look really work for you. “If your socks and shoes are stylish, I see no reason for them not to be worn together.”
Here are a few rules to keep in mind for those brave enough to commit this fashion sin:
- When wearing a dark sandal whether black or brown pair it with a white or bright sock to make a statement.
- For the ladies, pair a frill sock with a heavily strapped sandal.
- Always make sure your socks are stain and hole-free.
- Do not wear socks and sandals when it’s raining or flooding outside
- Pair heels with cable knitted socks in neutral colours
- Pair black socks with heels for a more elegant look
Get the Look
The Urban Gladiator
This sandal can be styled with black trousers and a black blazer for an evening look. For a more casual look, opt for rolled up faded jeans and a winter coat.
Pair them with:
Congratulations, you have the privilege to choose between heels and flats.
These tough babies should be paired with a frilly sock:
For a fun daytime look, pair your trucker sandals with these frill anklets.
For an unconventional glam look, pair your sexy heels with plain socks:
Written by Cherri-Lee Rhode