Job title: Parliamentary Correspondent and Monitor
Location: Brickfield Place, 18 Brickfield Road, Salt River, Cape Town
Contract: 5 days-a-week (1 year contract)
Overall objectives: Responsible for representing the VIP Connect project in parliament and at events, sustaining and building onto the existing relationships the project has established. The person is also responsible for casting a youth lens on parliament/committees and will report back to the editorial team.
Representing the VIP (Connect) Project
- Attending committee meetings and sittings in parliament on a daily basis.
- Attending key events that link to the themes of the project outside of parliament eg. Seminars, media briefings, youth events
- Working with the Project Manager to ensure that the VIP connect project is a recognised/known presence in parliament
Monitoring and evaluation
- Keep up to date with important issues that emerge out of the committee meetings and sittings that affect young people
- Be the parliament go-to person and source on parliament issues that affect young people: the eyes and ears in parliament.
- Work alongside the PM to select the committees the project will focus on in parliament.
- Keep regular contact with the Work the civil society organisations selected so that they feed into the monitoring of the work committees do
- Building and keeping track of a database of civil society groups, government departments, parliament units, parliamentarians and politicians.
- Working with the PM to build relationships with parliament units , government departments, politicians and relevant organisations.
- Liaising closely with PMG.
Reporting and Content
- Keep reports on committee meetings attended
- Create content that will be published on the LiveSA digital platforms
- Feed relevant info into the content production team by setting up regular team briefings
- Work very closely with the editors and feed info into them on a regular basis.
- Share weekly status reports with the PM to keep the project team up to date
- Work with the project team to ensure that the project is delivered according to the project goals.
Skills and Attributes Required:
- Proficient on email, and MS Office
- Great communicator
- A can-do attitude
- Super organisational skills, multi-tasking
- Great people skills – team player
- Must have a grasp of the political landscape in SA
- Must have an interest in politics and must be eager to learn more
- Proactive and confident with dealing with political contacts
If you are creative, energetic and are confident that you have what it takes to fill this position and join the winning Livity Africa team in Cape Town, please email your CV and a motivational letter to email@example.com with the subject line “VIP Connect Correspondent” by Monday 20 April.